Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Kitchen or Bust

We finally ordered our cabinets! It was def. a good move to hold off on ripping out the kitchen right away. We were able to do the proper research and make sure that we knew exactly what we wanted.

Our appliances have been in the garage for about... oh six months now. And soon the cabinets will be here!!!

I finally feel like things are underway!

Despite what we were originally thinking, we went with maple cabinets with a honey stain. We were hoping for the lightest possible wood, and we were advised against going with natural because of some fading possibilities.

We still need to finalize flooring, paint color and pick out the sink and faucet, but I am SO EXCITED.

Here is a picture of the cabinets we ordered - ours will actually be a shade lighter than this. We are going with a white quartz countertop also, so you can get an idea of how it will look with the island in the foreground.



Here is how the final design ended up coming together - we ended up going with option #2 and are planning to wall off the pass-through on the end of the kitchen to create a U shape.


The upper cabinet to the right of the sink will actually have only two glass doors.



Any suggestions for paint colors?!?! I need something that will coexist with the orange in the living room! The orange is Sherwin Williams "papaya"

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Yayyy! I like those cabinets a lot more than the others you previously showed me ... not that it matters being that it's your house! Lighter will feel brighter and more cheery too, I think.

As for color, blue complements orange. I think something leaning toward a light aqua would look pretty with the light wood cabinets and countertops. A little seaside inspiration :) I'll send some pics I have floating around on my computer. But it's hard to know since we don't know what the orange color is really like! Can you post a swatch?

Debbie Shanks said...

How exciting, the kitchen is on its way! When Steph did an orange color similar to yours, she used a mint green in another room. She also went with Ashley's suggestion in another room. Both looked nice next to the orange. Steph is a good one to ask. She is a lot bolder than her mother when it comes to color, but she always pulls it off.
I think the lighter cabinets will look super. I agree with Ashley there too, they will make the kitchen nice and bright.
I will tell Steph to jot you a note. She is on-line now and I will tell her how to go on under my name, if she does not have a blog yet.
Talk to you soon.
Love,
A. Deb
p.s. The good thing about paint is that it can easily be painted over if you don't like it our if you want a fairly cheap change. Go paint!